Sep 15, 2009

Last minute

I had all sorts of things to write about- red square yesterday, going
to the bathhouse and taking a banya, Russian style, and the morning
walk I had today, not to mention some funny metro stories, but I am
running low on time and have to settle for poaching random wireless
with my phone- not so speedy with the one finger typing...

It is a beautiful fall day here, I've been walking a lot in the city
center area- so much history here, and of course so much more grand
and imposing than my memories. This city has such a lot of paradox,
it is fascinating- I think I would struggle to explain even if I could
really type! I wish I had more time to really explore, especially
away from all of the big sites- all of those funky corners and
forgotten relics of everything this place has seen.

I leave tonight on the train to Irkutsk, Which will take about 4 days
with no real stops (20 minutes at most stations). Curious who I might
meet, what kind of dynamic there will be, how much booze should I
bring with me, the important stuff, you know. I can't wait to really
experiance just how enormous this landscape is- the leaves are
starting to turn here, so I'm hopeful for some fall color in the
boreal forests...

If I chance on some real Internet tonight I'll write more, otherwise I
am off to run around the kremlin for a bit and then get supplies and
head out for the station. Paka!

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. The fall colors sound nice, though... I am still thinking it should be summer here. Though as the salmon all die and the fireweed leaves turn red, I know that it is too much to hope for. Mike and I think about where you must be each night when we get home and are definitely feeling your absence. Enjoy the trip to Irkutsk. Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy! It is good to be missed - I miss our brunches and dinners and drinky-poos on the beach! (by the way, how are those blueberries? I don't trust Rob to pick enough...) I sent you and Mike a postcard from Red Square, but if the mail system runs true to form, I may be back before you get it!

    ReplyDelete